If you crave pickles from India, this recipe is your quick fix! Make it fresh at home with ingredients that are common in your pantry.
Here is the recipe.
Raw Mango – 1
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds ( Methi Seeds) – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – /1/2 tsp
Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp
Salt – 2 tsp
White Vinegar – 1 Tbsp ( or Lime Juice)
Mustard Oil – 1/3 cup ( or Canola Oil)
Peeled Garlic Cloves – 4 (optional)
*yields: 1 medium jar pickle
- Wash and trim the Mango at stem. Chop into medium size cubes along with skin. If the seed is big and firm take it away first, so that it won’t stick to pieces.
- Dry roast Mustard Seeds and Fenugreek seeds for 1 min and grind them together into fine powder.
- Take a medium bowl and add lemon juice (or vinegar) to it. Add salt, red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, fenugreek and mustard powder. Mix it well. Add oil and give it a mix so that every thing is combined and forms like a thick paste.
- Add chopped mango cubes and garlic cloves to this paste. Close the lid and store in a dark place overnight.
- The next day you will notice that the oil, spices and mango pieces are mixed well together, and mango pieces become a little soft. Now it is ready to serve along with white rice and ghee.
This stores fresh in the fridge for seven to 10 days.
For more recipes, visit my blog: